Also available on the Mac App Store.
Hexels is a brand new, grid-based art program for Mac and PC that lets you paint with shapes. There are two versions:
The free version of Hexels includes:
- Standard hexel shape mode plus 6 bonus shape modes – Brixels, Pixels, Crystals, Circles, Wiggles, Diagonal, and Zeez
- Glow effects - Several different glow shapes available to enhance your artwork.
- Import background images for reference or compositing
- Import Pixel Art using the Image2HXL add-on. Full-featured image import coming soon.
- Export .png files up to 1280 x 1280
Hexels Pro includes everything in Hexels as well as the following:
- All Shape Modes – Hexels, Trixels, Cubes, Starburst, Bevel, Plus, and Diamonds
- 3D Isometric Mode with Trixels shape
- Custom Shape Editor – create your own shapes to paint with!
- Outline tool – add outlines to your artwork (example).
- Glow Maps – get all of the glow maps and import your own images to use as glow. (example)
- High Resolution Export - Up to 24576 x 24576 (depending on your system configuration)
- Workflow integration – export as vector with .svg (not including glow), or export the data to .xml and .csv.
- More to Come - every new version of Hexels adds new features and capabilities.
UPDATED MAY 15, 2013! Version 1.1.1 is now available!
Highlights: Improved pen tablet and tablet eraser support, more responsive drawing, and the ability to flip your Hexels horizontally and vertically.
Artwork made with Hexels (free version):
Standard Hexel mode + glow.
Crystal Shape Mode. Made by Güneş Kuzulugil.
Target glow map.
Artwork made with Hexels Pro:
Trixel Shape Mode. Made by Justin Chan.
here’s a little piece of HEXELS art by your’s truly to celebrate the release of FZ: Side Z! twitter.com/Polytron/statu…
— Polytron (@Polytron) May 8, 2013
Kanagawa Wave by ESMP