Also available on the Mac App Store.
Hexels is a brand new, grid-based art program for Mac and PC that lets you paint with shapes. There are two versions:
The free version of Hexels includes:
- Standard hexel shape mode plus 6 bonus shape modes – Brixels, Pixels, Crystals, Circles, Wiggles, Diagonal, and Zeez
- Sample modes for Trixels and Voronoi shape modes
- Texturing - Apply textures to your arts for a huge variety of effects from the built-in texture library or import your own
- Glow effects - Several different glow shapes available to enhance your artwork.
- Import background images for reference or compositing
- Import Pixel Art using the Image2HXL add-on.
- Export .png files up to 1280 x 1280
Hexels Pro includes everything in Hexels as well as the following:
- All Shape Modes – Hexels, Trixels, Voronoi (brand new!) Cubes, Starburst, Bevel, Plus, and Diamonds
- 3D Isometric Mode with Trixels shape
- Custom Shape Editor – create your own shapes to paint with!
- Halftone painting – use the brush opacity to change the size of shapes as you paint them
- Outline tool – add outlines to your artwork (example).
- Glow Maps – get all of the glow maps and import your own images to use as glow. (example)
- Image-to-hexels Import – import images right into Hexels to hexelate them.
- High Resolution Export - Up to 24576 x 24576 (depending on your system configuration)
- Workflow integration – export as vector with .svg (not including glow), or export the data to .xml and .csv.
- More to Come - every new version of Hexels adds new features and capabilities.
UPDATED Nov 24, 2013! Version 1.2.0 is now available!
Highlights: Texturing, Voronoi Mode, image import, wrapping, and tons of other stuff.
Windows Users: Hexels has been scanned by virustotal.com and came up 100% clean. Certain version of Norton antivirus software have reportedly flagged Hexels due to having “low reputation”. In other words, Norton doesn’t recognize it as “good”, so it assumes it’s bad out of an overabundance of caution. We have submitted Hexels to Norton’s whitelist to have this corrected.
Mac OSX users: The default security settings on the most recent versions of OSX will not let Hexels run by default. If you are unable to run Hexels by double-clicking it, hold the control key and click it, then select Open in the menu that pops up.
Artwork made with Hexels (free version):
Standard Hexel mode + glow.
Crystal Shape Mode. Made by Güneş Kuzulugil.
Target glow map.
Artwork made with Hexels Pro:
Trixel Shape Mode. Made by Justin Chan.
here’s a little piece of HEXELS art by your’s truly to celebrate the release of FZ: Side Z! twitter.com/Polytron/statu…
— Polytron (@Polytron) May 8, 2013
Kanagawa Wave by ESMP